Warning: Picture heavy!
Show off the Worbla + craft foam sandwich. Worbla does stick to craft foam nicely! I think I will definitely do more Worbla and foam sandwiches in the future. The weight is considerably less than two sheets of the thermoplastic.
The crossbow base I used was the Nerf Zombie Strike Crossfire Bow. The size and weight of the gun is perfect; I wish I had the funds to buy two of them. Didn’t have time to sand out the Nerf logos and words but it still looks good regardless.
Detailing the armor was the most tedious of the process. Imagine cutting dozens of straight lines. Cutting the Worbla was also a bitch, too. I had to bust out my silver sewing scissors because they broke the handles of a regular pair.
The silver D rings are there for attaching the elastic later. What I plan to do is pull elastic and velcro through those rings to make the armor fit to my body as nicely as possible.
Next came the priming/sealing step. I was worried about the wood glue because my armor had a ton of curved and wood glue doesn’t sit well. But after 3-4 layers, I had silky smooth results. Since you have to mix the glue with one part water, it got really runny sometimes. To combat that, I just added an extra layer on curved parts with thicker glue (less water) combo.
I don’t have pics of the next step since the armor was spray-painted black and then silver. The silver spray-paint was super shiny and lovely but I wanted a weathered, warrior look. To achieve that, I used black/grey acrylic paint to create shadows and cracks.
Here’s the final product! I think it looks really good! Next week I should have the final installment of this cosplay process series with good pics of everything worn. Have one day left until the office party – there’s still some small details I have to add.
Previous: Part 2 – Sewing & Patterning