You can see the full article here (picture heavy). While I didn’t win, I did place in the top 10!
Overall I’m really happy since this costume was a rush job that was completed in two weeks. Excited to fix up this costume for a future con so I can get some epic photos. Since I had to rush, the corset part did not end up being finished. I would also love to get some white contacts for the true Demon Hunter effect!
Things I learned about Worbla:
- It’s expensive AF but totally worth the money. I wouldn’t have been able to finish this costume if I used regular EVA foam. Non-toxic fumes ftw.
- Securing and attaching Worbla is something that takes a lot of trial and error. Better to have extra security, especially in the areas that will receive lots of tension – I used a ton of Worbla strips, velcro and D-rings.
- I was still able to use the heat gun to form some parts after it was spray painted.
- Worbla and craft foam sandwiches are really the way to go. You’ll get double the strength.
- Some of my spray painting job rubbed off in one area where the pauldron and breastplate had direct contact. I wonder how layers of acrylic paint would have held up.
I’m really happy with my first problem with Worbla. Stay tuned for more armor projects in the future!