My method for making cute fox (or any type of fuzzy animal ear). Future League of Legends Ahri cosplayers, keep this tutorial bookmarked.
Skill Level: Easy (basic hand sewing knowledge required)
- Craft fur in your color of choice (I get Creatology from Michaels)
- Hot glue gun and sticks
- Sewing needle and thread
- Card stock
- One piece of felt (in pink or inner ear color)
- Alligator clips
- Sharpie/fabric marker
- Draw your ear pattern 2x on the cardstock. You will want to make a pattern for the outer and inner ear (usually the pink part).
- Trace your outer ear pattern on the back of the craft fur 4x. Make sure the fur is going in correct direction. Remember to mirror your pattern so you have a 2x right and 2x left ear.
- Cut out your outer ear pieces carefully. There is a specific way to cut faux fur.
- Sew up the outer ear pieces (fuzzy part to fuzzy part). You’re going to hand-sew the top part of the ear but leave the bottom open.
- Flip your ear inside out.
- Insert the card stock pattern into your ear for stability. You may have to cut it to size. Instead of using card stock, you can use heavy interfacing or anything similar.
- Sew up the bottom with a blind/ladder stitch.
- Next trace your inner ear pattern 2x on the felt. Again remember to mirror/flip the pieces when tracing.
- Glue the felt onto the outer ear pieces with hot glue. Make sure you comb the fur so it lays flat.
- Finally, sew on the alligator clips along on the bottom (where you used the blind stitch). You can use other types of clips but I find alligators are easiest to use.
- You can trim the fur if it’s too long. I would recommend trimming the bottom portions and then leaving the upper parts of the ear fur long.